OT 533 Pediatric SIM Reflection


I believe this SIM encounter went very well. While preparation is taken into account I feel as that I was more confident for this SIM encounter than the others we have had. The environment was set up in a way that was immediately easy for me to form an open line of communication with the client. Because of this I felt as though the nerves I had going into the room were gone within the first few minutes. This made it easier to focus on the information that I was trying to get across to the client and less time focusing on getting over my nerves.
If I could do the SIM lab again, I would take more time to ask the client their thoughts and understanding on what we were discussing. During the beginning portion of the SIM I was giving John’s mom a lot of information on sensory processing disorder was and didn’t spend much time to slow down and make sure that she was understanding and retaining all of the information. While I feel I did this well in the second half of the SIM once talking about the sensory schedule and types of sensory input, I feel that when explaining a diagnosis to a parent it is extremely important to make sure that they are well informed and understand all of what we are saying to them. This could have been due to my nerves at the beginning that I did not spend much time to slow down and ask for her feedback on information but I will be aware of this next time. 
One example of displaying a caring attitude toward a client during an interaction could be by validating their feelings. I tried to do this while John’s mom was talking of her frustrations with John’s behaviors at home and school. By responding with things like “I understand how this would be frustrating and I have some suggestions that may help to make this a little better for you”. By assuring the parent that you are there to help them and that they are not alone, we can display a caring attitude. Another example of this is to use active listening when engaging in communication. By being present, maintaining eye contact, responding to their feelings and questions in a way that assures them we are listening, we can show that we care about their feelings. 
One main takeaway from this SIM that I can incorporate into my future practice is understanding I must make the child and their diagnosis a top priority no matter how big or small it may seem to me. While it may seem like just another appointment or case, to a parent this is their entire life, and may severely affect their day to day life. By treating the parent and child with the upmost respect and care it can show that I value their feelings and will do what I can to help them. While it may be another patient to me, it may be a parents’ only child, something that is very important to remember. Being empathetic and putting myself in the shoes of the parent will help me to see through their lens and understand where they may be coming from.

Comments

Popular Posts